Saturday 10 March 2018

Interview with author, Alyson Faye


I'm delighted to welcome Alyson Faye to Troutie McFish Tales to talk about her writing. Alyson's flash fiction collection, Badlands, was published by Chapeltown Books at the beginning of 2018, and has already garnered a number of 5-star reviews.


You mention in your author profile that you've been writing poetry and children's books since the 1990s - what inspired you to start writing at that time? 

In the 1990s I was working with children as a tutor, telling stories, and having them as an audience inspired me to start writing for age 7 years upwards. After a few failed submissions Collins accepted the time slip adventure 'Soldiers in the Mist' for ages 11-12. I wrote poetry in the aftermath of a serious illness to help with my recovery. Which it did! I performed my poetry live in pubs in the Black Country and at the Midlands Arts Centre in Birmingham.



What's the first book you remember reading? Is there a book that changed your life? Which book do you wish you'd written? And what was the last book that made you cry?

Books very much formed my childhood and visiting the local library was an important part of my week. I remember being 5 years old in my infants class, taught by the formidable Mrs Roberts, and being desperate to reach the Gold level reading series before I moved up to primary school. Sadly, I only reached Silver.

Reading Enid Blyton's books, on my own, was a huge step for me. I particularly loved her Malory Towers series and the Mystery of... series. I re-read them all many times. I read Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird' when I was about fourteen, and it made a massive impact on me. It made me think about racism, prejudice and family life in a new way. I wish I'd written that book! But I loved Penelope Lively's novels for teens and Susan Cooper's books too; to have written one of those would have been amazing.


I probably cry a bit too easily, so films, news stories, books and poems can all make me cry. 


You write in such a mix of genres and styles - horror, YA novels, poetry, flash - and create so many worlds. Where do all these worlds come from? And which of these things do you enjoy writing the most?

Yes that's surprised me - how many genres I've come to write in! Not a planned development but more an outcome of my interests, writing classes I've attended - where I was introduced to flash fiction - and time constraints. I like variety in my projects.

I draw on the places I visit, the films I've seen - I'm a huge film fan especially 1940's and film noir - the books I read, the people I meet. Some tiny event or anecdote can spark a piece of writing. The tone and style of the piece develops as I write, making it clear which genre it will fall into. Imagination has no horizons does it? 


My favourite is always the one I am working on at the time! It has to be that way I think otherwise you wouldn't take the time and energy to write it. Though I do like to alternate between dark, Gothic horror pieces and lighter stories. Sometimes the words come out as a poem, so I go with how it comes. 


Your flash fiction collection, Badlands, came out at the beginning of this year, and has garnered a number of 5-star reviews. Reviews and press attention are hard-won - have you found it tough going, or do you enjoy the promotion and marketing side of writing?
 
Yes I have had some lovely reviews for Badlands, which is great. Promoting my work doesn't come naturally to me. It's also time consuming, and takes time away from writing. Getting the balance hasn't been easy. I do prefer the creative side more. I enjoy a small amount of live mic performing though. I'm always very appreciative if anyone does buy or read my work. It is a huge compliment when they feed back to say they have enjoyed it. 


 
 
What's next for Alyson Faye?

I'm working on a collection of horror/ghost stories, with the tentative title of 'All the Lost Children'; the stories are set in or inspired by the towns around West Yorkshire where I live. It will be a mix of stories which have been published online or in print anthologies and a few which are original to the collection.

I have a time slip YA novel on the back burner, also set locally, which I am returning to this year. 


I will keep writing flash fiction, as ideas come to me. I do love the demands of this type of writing, the need for brevity, tight storytelling and most interesting use of the words for the maximum impact. It's still exciting for me.



Web Links:

Alyson's Amazon page can be found here

Alyson's blog can be found here 

Follow Alyson on Twitter: @AlysonFaye2

1 comment:

Vo(i)ces II - A Review by Cathy Bryant

VO(I)CES II - A REVIEW BY CATHY BRYANT Vo(i)ces II is an anthology of the winning and commended poems from The Victorina Press Vo(i)ces Poe...