Pages

Monday 7 February 2022

A Writer Reading - Steven Jenkins

 


 

 A WRITER READING - Steven Jenkins

 
 
The first book I remember reading    

Grimms Fairy Tales – an old copy, printed in about 1959. I’ve still got it. Very scary, not softened for today’s market!
 
 
The books which shaped my childhood  

Jock’s Island by Elizabeth Costsworth, Hurry Home Candy by Meindert DeJong, Greatheart by Joseph Chipperfield, Storm of Dancerwood by Joseph Chipperfield, Tarka the Otter by Henry Williamson (cried for ages at the end!).
 
 
The books I read as a teenager

Anything by Jim Fogg, he was a brilliant writer. Anything by Stephen King. Pan Book of Horror. And Thomas Hardy (I still don’t know why).
 
 
The first book which made me want to be a writer

Murphy's Law by Jim Fogg.
 
 
The book (or writer) which/who changed my view of the world

Stephen King or Jim Fogg.
 
 
The book which will always have a place on my shelves


The Raven and the Eagle by Pauline Gedge. Or Greatheart. Or Murphy’s Law.  
 
 
The book/s I tell everyone else to read

The Raven and the Eagle; anything by Jim Fogg; Greatheart.  
 
 
The books I didn’t finish

There have been a few, if a book doesn’t grab me by the second chapter, I close it. Life is too short and there are millions of other books. Jack Ryan books, I don’t get the attraction, they’re nonsense.  
 
 
The book I am reading right now

11.22.63 by Stephen King.
 
 
The book I turn to for comfort

Greatheart by Joseph Chipperfield. 


The Nobody Man by Steven Jenkins

“The Nobody Man is a fast-paced read that unfurls in a filmic way with a protagonist I felt sympathy for. I was fascinated by the clinical descriptions of injuries and the ominous sense of place developed in the novel. Brace yourself to read this – it is a novel fuelled by gang violence, vengeance, racism and drugs but this should be of no surprise to anyone who reads the blurb: it’s a novel that does what it says on the tin.” – Gail Aldwin, author of The String Games.

In the moment of truth, what would you do? What if your loved ones had been taken in a moment of senseless violence?

Britain’s inner cities in the 21 st century are cursed by violence and lawlessness. The authorities have lost control. Social media worships
wrong-doers and turns them into anarchistic modern-day heroes. Everyday people, trapped in the inner cities sink estates, are terrorised into not speaking out, not reporting crimes.

Hoodlums rule the roost.

When Dan’s family are taken from him by violence, he fights back.

Vigilante? Hero? Violent criminal? Which is he? Which would you become, in his place?

Makes you think, doesn’t it?

You can buy a copy here

BIOGRAPHY

Steven P Jenkins was born in an inner city, grew up on a deprived housing estate but paradoxically attended an Independent School, where he was encouraged to write. The headmaster of Hydesville Tower School, Col. William Flood, a unique and eccentric retired soldier, mercenary and academic, encouraged Steven to join the British Army but to also use his brains. After leaving the Army, Steven became a Paramedic, going on to lecture at University and is currently a Practitioner in the NHS. He lives in Shropshire which he describes as his adoptive county. The Nobody Man is Steven’s first book written for a publishing house. His first self published novelette/long story, Troy’s Story, the memoirs of a border collie, is available on Amazon. Steven has a lifelong passion for motorcycles and plans to continue riding in this country and abroad as much as possible. His favourite quote is by Barry Sheene, MBE – Never die wondering.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each of Us a Petal is here!

  A bittersweet day for me – my book has arrived from Victorina Press and it looks fabulous! This new collection of my Japan-themed short fi...