Pages

Saturday 23 April 2022

Review of The Taking Part by Joe Williams

 


 

The Taking Part is a short collection of poems on the theme of sport and games, encompassing television quiz shows, pub sports, and board games, as well as more traditional sports like football, cricket and athletics.

As Joe says: ‘Sport and poetry might not seem like an obvious combination, but the best sport stories are really stories about people, and I think that’s what these poems are too. Games and competition have been an important part of our culture throughout human history. They can be central to our relationships, our memories, and our ambitions, and I wanted to write about all of those things.’

 

My Review:

You don’t have to be a sports fan to enjoy this themed collection from Joe Williams – as in all good poetry there there is universal appeal to be found in the specific. These poems are humorous,  nostalgic, evocative, and surprisingly tender. I have many favourites (including the witty clerihews), but in particular I was wooed by the fledgling love story in ‘Jackpot’, by the brilliant ‘If Only I’d Made the Team’, where the poet is nostalgic for an appearance on University Challenge that never happened, and the more heavyweight (boxing pun there :-) ) ‘It Started With a Kiss’ written for Nicola Adams.

  You can buy a copy here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each of Us a Petal is here!

  A bittersweet day for me – my book has arrived from Victorina Press and it looks fabulous! This new collection of my Japan-themed short fi...